Ingredients: serves 10 to 12
1 sucking pig, head and legs removed, deboned, trimmed and halved lengthwise(yield 2 to 3 kilos)
½ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 stalks tanglad(lemon grass)
6 springs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Butcher’s thread, for tying fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Brush both sides of the slabs of the deboned sucking pig with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the half portion of suckling pig with the fresh side up on a tray and line the center of each slab with 1 stalk lemon grass. 3 springs fresh thyme and 1 tablespon garlic.
- Roll each of the pork slabs with both ends of the skin slightly overlapping each other to form a cylinder. Blind wiht buther’s thread.
- Roast the suckling pig in the for 1 hour and baste with olive oil. Raise the temperature to 350F and continue basting occasionally for another hour or until the lechon skin is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest on a tray. As the lechon cools down, it will start to get crisp. Remove the thread binding before serving.