8 eggs whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup butter, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1 cup powdered sugar, for yolks
2/3 cup evaporated milk
8 eggs yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cup whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar, for cream
4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise into thin pieces; leave some whole garnish
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour three round 9 x 1 ½ inch pans. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating well after each addition until sugar is completely dissolved. Beat egg whites until stiff but moist peaks form. Set aside
- In another bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder 1 cup sugar, milk egg yolks and vanilla. Mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Fold flour mixture into beaten egg whites and blend through. Pour mixture into prepared pans and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl whip cream and remaining ½ cup sugar until fluffy. Set aside.
- Remove cakes from pans. Place bottom layer on platter, spread some of the whipped cream and strawberries. Top with second layer, ending with the whipped cream. Garnish cake with remaining berries and decorate with remaining cream.