Ingredients: Serve 8 to 12
2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
1 cup caster sugar or granulated sugar, for the yolks
1 tablespoon sifted baking powder
½ cup corn oil
5 egg yolks
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup caster sugar or granulated sugar, for the egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 oF
- Line the botton of a tube pan, measuring 9 inches in diameter and 4 ½ inches in height, with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, oil egg yolks, water, orange concentrate and salt. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Set egg yolk mixture aside.
- In another mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whitess and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the ½ cup sugar while continuing to beat at medium speed. After adding all the sugar, increase mixer speed and continue beating until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Carefully fold egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. Pour the cakes batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for at least 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upside down before removing from pan.
Sunshine Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon water
- Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Brush or spoon the prepared mixture on surface of the cakes, letting the excess drip to the slides.