Ingredients: Serve 6 to 8
1 (4 to 5 pound) boneless top round roast, tied at 1 inch intervals
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 onion, cut into ½ inch rounds
1 celery rib, cut into 2 inch pieces
½ cup (2 ½ ounces) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 (10.5 ounce) can beef consommé
1 ½ cups water
- Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with 2 teaspoons salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with 2 teaspoons pepper. Heat oil in 12 inch ovensafe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown roast all over, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan. Add butter and melt over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery and cook until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste and cook until flour is golden and paste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Off heat, push vegetables to center of pan. Place roast on top of vegetables and transfer skillet to oven. Cook until meat registers 120 to 125 degrees(for medium rare), 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours. Transfer roast to carving board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, return skillet with vegetables to medium high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in consommé and water, scraping up any browned bits; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Strain gravy through fine mesh strainer into serving bowl; discard vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove twine from roast and thinly slice roast crosswise against grain. Serve, passing gravy separately. End.