Ingredients: Makes 18 pieces
3 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
1 teaspoon vinegar
10 teaspoons iced cold water
Oil, for deep frying
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening with two knives or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually sprinkle vinegar and water over flour mixture and toss well with a fork jut until combined. With your hands, gather the dough and shape into a ball.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling and egg wash
- When the dough is ready, divede into two balls. On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a ¼ inch thick circle.
- With a lightly floured cookie cutter, cut out 3 to 4 inch circle of dough. Repeat process with remaining dough. Re roll scraps of the dough and cut cirlces of crush again.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling over each prepared dough circle. Fold the dough circle into a half moon shape to enclose the filling. Pinch or flute edges of the dough with a fork or pastry cutter to form an empanada.
- Brush each empanada with egg wash.
- In a deep fryer, heat oil and cook the empanadas for about 3 minutes or until golden in color. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
½ kilo whole beef tenderlion or sirloin
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup butter
¼ kilo potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
½ cup cubed sweet ham
2 tablespoons green peas
½ cup raisins
¼ cup butter
2 tablespoons beef broth
- Season beef with salt and pepper
- In a skillet, melt ¼ cup butter. Saute beef in melted butter until brown on all sides. Remove from heat and slice the meat into thin strips.
- In a bowl, combine meat with mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, curry powder, sweet ham, green peas, raisins and remaining ¼ cup butter. Add broth to moistedn the filling.
1 egg, slightly beaten, mixed with
1 tablespoon water