Ingredients: serves 6
1 whole fish, maximum 2 kilos(white fish like mameng, lapu lapu or maya maya)
¼ cup gin
Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
2 kilos rock or coarse salt
½ cup egg whites
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Clean the fish well but leave scales intact.
- Marinate the fish in gin and pepper for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine salt and egg whites. Transfer half of the mixture to an ovenproof dish or jellyroll pan lined with baking parchment.
- Arrange the fish on top of the salt. Cover fish with remaining salt.
- Bake for at least 30 minutes or until the salt hardens. Estimate baking time by measuring the thickness of the assembled fish with salt. Allot 15 munutes of baking for every inch.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing (recipe follows).
- When the fish is cooked, crack the salt covering then lift out the fish onto a platter.
- Serve the fish with the dressing on the side
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon orange honey
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
3 talbespoons canned mango juice
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients using a wire whisk.
- Chill for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop