Ingredients: serve 6 to 8
2 cups flour
1 whole white
1 egg white
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
50ml cold water
- Place flour in a bowl. Add whole egg, egg white, salt, olive oil, and water. Mix ingredients. Turn out onto floured table and knead for 10 minutes.
- With rolling pin or pasta machines, flatten dough into thickness of 1/8 to 1/6 inch. Cut into squares measuring four inches. Set aside
1 cup (tightly packed)cooked spinach, finely chopped
7 ounces skim milk ricotta (at room temperature)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
- Squeeze spinach to dry then place in a bowl. Add ricotta and mix well.
- Add parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until totally mixed. Set aside
For the Bechamel Sause Ingridents:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk (at room temperature)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt, to taste
- In a sturdy saucepan, melt butter. As soon as the butter foams or before it becomes brown, add flour then reduce the heat. Beat steadily with a wire whisk until well combined.
- When the mixtures is smooth, pour in milk. Continue beating with the whisk until all lumps disappear. Cook for two to three minutes. Add nutmeg and salt to taste.
8 to 10 cups water
2 tablespoons salt
Grated Mozzarella cheese
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375oF
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Add salt. As the water bails, add the prepared egg pasta squares and blanch for about two minutes. Drain pasta and dry on cotton cloth.
- In the center of each pasta square, place one tablespoon of filling and one tablespoon Mozzarella cheese. Roll each filled pasta square to make cannelloni.
- Arrange the cannelloni in an oven proof dish. Cover with bechamel sauce. Cook for 15 minutes in oven. Once done, sprinkle with fresh Parmesan on top and serve.