Ingredients: Make 3 loaf size(8x4 inch) pans
3 cups dried mixed fruit
¾ cup chopped dried dates
½ grams dried apricots, chopped
½ cup cointreau
1 440gram can crushed pineapples, drained
¾ cup unsalted buttr, cubed
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup self raising flour(or substitue 1 cup all purpose flour + 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder + ½ teaspoon salt)
½ baking soda
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
¼ blanched almonds
½ cup glaze red and green cherries
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine mix fruits, dates, apricots and cointreau. Soak for two hours then stir in pineapples. Drain and set fruit mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Line base ans sides of the three loaf pans with two layers of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition(mixture will look curdled at this stage). Set butter mixture aside.
- In another bowl, sift together the two kinds of flour, baking soda, mixed spice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold flour mixture alternately with fruit mixture into the butter mixture in three.
- Batches, until well combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Moisten hands and smooth the surface of the batter to prevent large cracks from forming.
- Tap cake pan on counter a couple of times to remove any air pockets.
- Decorate the outer edge of the batter with almonds. Add a circle of cherries. Finish with a circle of almonds in the middel.
- Bake for 1 hour then cover cake with foil to prevent over browning. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean