Savory Holiday Beef RouladeIngredients: Serve 6 to 8
¼ cup oyster sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil ground black pepper, to taste
For the beef roulade
1 kilo whole beef kalitiran, sliced into ½ inch thick sheets(2 pieces)
6 pieces sliced ham
2 hard cooked eggs, sliced lengthwise into quarters
1 medium carrot, sliced into ¼ inch thick sticks
All purpose flour, for dredging
¼ cup cooking oil
2 beef broth cubes, dissolved in 5 cups hot water
Salt and pepper, to taste, optional parsley, bell pepper and button mushrooms, for garnish optional
For the Gravies
Reserved both(from beef, about 2 cups), divided in half
½ can (420gram can) cream of mushroom soup
2 teaspoons onion powder, divided in half
¼ cup corn starch dissolved in ¼ cup water, divided in half
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Make the Beef Roulade
- In a mixing bowl, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper. Lay the beef sheets on a shallow dish and pour marinade, turning to coat the beef entirely in marinade. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Drain beef slices and arrange on a tray. Layer ham, eggs, carrot on one side of each beef sheet.
- Starting from the side with the fillings, roll the beef sheet carefully, making sure that the fillings are intact. Truss the rolls by tying at regular intervals using any kitchen twine. Dredge beef rolls in flour.
- Dredge the beef rolls in flour
- Heat cooking oil in large frying pan over medium fire. Brown the beef rolls on all sides in hot oil
- Transfer the rolls to a large casserole. Pour in broth, cover the casserole and simmer over low heat until beef is tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Season will salt and pepper in the last 30 minutes of cooking, if needed. Remove beef from casserole and reserve the broth.
- For the mushroom gravy, strain the reserve broth. In a saucepan, combine half of the broth, mushroom soup, half of the onion powder, and half of the cornstarch mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Fro the brown sauce, in a saucepan, combine remaining broth, onion powder, cornstarch mixture and soy sauce. Let simmer until sauces thickens. Season with salt and pepper
- Garnish beef roulade with parsley, bell pepper and button mushrooms. Serve with 2 kinds of gravies on the side.