Noodles with chicken Vietnamese style
7 tablespoon sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon pepper
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1½ pounds), trimmed of excess fat
1/3 cup lime juice
5 tablespoon water
8 ounces rice vermicelli
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce leaves (6 to 8 leaves)
2 cups bean sprouts (about 6 ounces)
¾ cup shredded fresh mint leaves
½ cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
1. Mix 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 2 tablespoon sugar, garlic and pepper in a medium bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 5 tablespoons fish sauce, sugar 5 tablespoons reaming lemon juice and water and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Remove from heat, add the noodles and let stand until noodles are tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain in a colander and rise noodles under cold running water until cool. Drain well.
4. Divide the lettuce, bean sprouts and mint between 4 individual bowls. Cover the vegetables with noodles, dividing evenly.
5. Grill chicken over medium - hot fire until charred and chicken registers 170 degrees, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Cross Cut chicken into ½ - inch strips. Place chicken on top of the noodles and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve, passing sauce on the side to pour over individual servings.